Monday 23 January 2012

Hearing voices

I'm not a great one for keeping abreast of the news but I give thanks (again) for the wonderful images on the In Pictures section of the BBC website...glimpses of other ways of being on other parts of the planet...and for the stunning entries in the Your Pictures competitions where people send them in. 'Morning light' was a recent theme...

It was check up day with Dr Galli today and my kidney function was down...booh! but my haemoglobin is up..hurray! This explains why I am so totally, fall asleep right this minute exhausted so much of the time but how if I can get myself moving in between naps I'm functioning OK. He agrees if I'm fit for the op and they offer it, it would probably improve not only the quality of my own life but my kidney's too... Thanks (again) for his very thorough care...

Now, about hearing voices... I don't mean in a schizophrenic or other worldly way...but when you hear a voice you know though you can't see the person. It can be awkward...A friend of mine was tired and emotional at a wild all night party many years ago and took a nap under a blanket on the back seat of her Ford Capri. They had long sloping bonnets you may recall...Well, she woke up to find the car bouncing and a couple...how shall we phrase this...using the car for support? Embarrassing enough, but to make matters worse she could tell who they were from their voices...and they were two halves of two different couples. Far too much information!

Sometimes it can be auspicious. I was walking home from work past a large crowd drinking outside the pubs and restaurants on the quay one summer evening when I lived in Exeter. My head was full of a logistical conundrum to do with moving here but suddenly I thought...I know that voice! Took a while to find the chap it belonged to but when I did he insisted I joined him and his mates for a drink or two and ended up with the offer of van, one of those truck things for wheeling large appliances and two strong pairs of lifting arms! Much thanks to long lost friend Ross...with whom I shared many chuckles before he drifted out of my life.

Today it was just weird. I was explaining to the doctor why my blood pressure might be high and stopped myself from giving some details...partly because I didn't want it to go higher thinking about them! Then I heard the voice of someone outside in the waiting area who I know by sound from other situations where I don't see him, but who I would really prefer not to know anything about the fact that I do or that I know who he is...or my blood pressure would definitely rise! I told myself it couldn't be but then I heard him give his name and it was. Spooky!

I give thanks for brilliant sunshine while I was out and spots of rain just starting on my return...so I felt I had 'timed it right'. For a couple of make do and mend sewing brainwaves that came to me yesterday and for finding just the bits I need in the little shop in town.

And I give thanks (again) for those who take time to comment. I don't always reply but it doesn't mean I don't read and appreciate the fact that you're communicating with me...Tony, Sally and Pat have replies today so will feel very honoured and grateful I hope! If Lynn is patient she might even get an email in response to hers though I'm not comitting myself as to when, ha ha! They are a taupey brown nubuck by the way...one of my favourite colours...just bought them some protecting spray...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics