Sunday 15 January 2012

Points of view

Hey guys, how you all doing? (I've a degree in England Language me...ask Cheryl!) I've been looking for a link to the snowboarding crow in case anyone in the world hasn't seen it yet but I also wanted to remind you of the wonderful images to be found of all manner of things on Dark Roasted Blend...and look what I found!!! Job done, as they say...

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2012/01/birds-just-want-to-have-fun.html

What the eye does see may gladden the heart in so many ways... I know I'm no photographer but I like to try and capture the sense of the moment for me. Sometimes that's what photos do...and sometimes they are a key to a whole host of memories and lingering perceptions.

This image (or a similar but smarter version) I fell in love with in a frame in a little craft shop the other side of the county a few years ago. It had been taken by the owner/seller and when she told me it was taken in the Scilly Isles I said 'Ooh I'm going there for a day trip soon...what's it like?' and she said lots of things that made me even more keen to go. While I was there, having a bit of a wander around the main island St Mary's with a friend I walked past a building and said.'Oh look...that's that wall!' And he obligingly took a picture for me to take home and compare as the shutters were shut so I couldn't see the view through the two windows to be sure. So I got it home and compared stonework and sure enough it was the same. I was very proud of my memory for detail but I was dumbfounded when I was telling the story to someone else and he looked at the two pictures and said...'Oh I know where that is...up by the Garrison.' And he was right! Clearly this wall and this window are rather special and I was lucky enough to go there again one day when the shutters were open and see for myself that you really can see right through the building and across the water to the other side of the bay...

I give thanks today for the the multi layered and faceted remembrances it brings me every time I see it on the table beside my sofa and how sometimes when I pick it up and look closely I experience the same wonder as the first time I did...

I give thanks for a good night's sleep despite various pains and problems (and no, I don't mean my neighbours this time!) and for the golden sun-up light and the sight of the churning sea... For chores done and food cooking (the inner chef is working part time today!) and for garlic! I was brought up to understand that eating garlic was a sign of moral lassitude and heathen ways...on a par with adults wearing jeans or long hair after thirty (on a woman...long hair on a man was always wrong apparently!). I'm grateful for all the opportunities for remarkably innocent rebellion my upbringing has given me...

Hello today to Pat - hope you're getting better...and to Sally - always admired your art work..would love to see some pics of pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics