Tuesday 18 October 2011

Lines

Yesterday, I stayed up late watched a film with Jake Gyllenhaal in. I hadn't checked how long I it was (over two and a half hours and no ad breaks!) and though it was recorded so I could have stopped any time, I was just gripped and carried on. I think he is such a good actor and the characters he plays always totally believable.* In this case it was a real person so it should be believable but that's not what I mean. A few times lately I've turned away from TV dramas in disgust at the poor acting especially inadequate delivery of lines - and this from well known, even respected names. It totally distracts me from the story as I find myself thinking about how they should have said things or how their body language could have been improved or whatever. I guess it's ultimately the fault of bad directing but I hate it, whatever it is! I don't mind how implausible the plot as long as the actors act as if it's real!

*Of course I haven't seen all his movies but I intend to give the shortfall my best intention especially the ones where he smiles, there wasnt much smiling in this one!

Anyway I give gratitude for a good yarn well told and for supine escapism in all its forms. I give thanks for good movies and good acting and directing and I give thanks, of course, for Jake Gyllenhaals wonderful smile! And I give thanks for having an old fashioned overhead radial DP outside my kitchen window. That's one of those wooden telegraph poles with cables coming out like a maypole. I think it's the radiating maypole shape, I like rather than the street furniture nostalgia per se. There's a neighbour in the flats next door hangs washing out on part of her line...no kidding!

1 comment:

  1. Good atfernoon Angel,
    Going to show my ignorance here, just read your post and thought "who?" so couldn't resist going on wikipedia to find out and immediatley thought "Aw thats who that is" to be honest i've only ever seen him in one film, and was quite surprised at his profile,
    Well well, ye learn something new everyday!.......only trouble with me is, I never remember any of it!!!

    Bye for now Angel
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics