Monday 3 October 2011

Making waves

There was a tiny puppy on the beach today...I've seen bigger shoes! I think it might have been the first time its owner had brought it as she kept trying to get the little thing interested in the sea but it was as if the sea was just too big for it to notice. When it got its feet wet it ran back up onto the dry sand but otherwise no reaction. The tide had not long turned and quite a few dogs were being exercised on the gradually growing strip of beach so the puppy was more fascinated by the smells than anything else until a first a large stick and then a large wet Labrador hurtled past it. It watched for a moment or two apparently assessing the situation and then dashed off on hot pursuit! Made me laugh out loud...thanks for that, pup!

It reminded me of the first time Fraser saw the sea. He was older as we lived inland but not yet fully grown. There were a few of us went to the coast and we parked the car close by the shore and headed towards it. Fraser was trotting along beside me when suddenly he caught sight of the water and he stopped stock still and gazed and gazed and gazed. I let him off the lead but he still just stood there, until someone finally threw a stick for him and after a few seconds' hesitation he literally took the plunge, jumped in and went swimming after it.

I give thanks for the happy sight of happy people and dogs enjoying the last of the summer. And for being one of them! It was a real effort to get down there today but never put off til tomorrow what you may never have the chance to do again! I gazed and gazed and gazed and also remembered my dream last night in which I was doing just that but with the purpose of making waves. I'd stare at the mostly flat water for a while and a ridge of water would begin to emerge and grow in length and height and until it could roll in to break on the sand, then I'd make another! I was quite proud of my new skill and showing it to people but it wasn't called making waves in my dream...I can't remember what it was though!

This evening I'm very tired and grateful for leftovers from tea last night to heat up if I can summon an appetite when I've finished typing (and re-typing) this. I hope Tony's feeling better, that Carole continues to beat the NHS into submission and Pat's appointment goes OK. I had to phone the community nursing team twice today to confirm they'd remembered to come today instead of tomorrow. The first time I left a message as I couldn't get through, the second time they said they'd no record of me calling last week about the change, then someone turned up and we joked that I'd probably get someone tomorrow as well (or lots of frantic messages as I won't be here) and then about half an hour after that another nurse turned up unaware that the first one has been.

Let's hope patient transport is a bit more organised. I phoned them earlier to confirm by booking and they said yes they'd confirmed it with the driver and he'd be there but usually the driver actually gets in touch with you persoanlly to agree times and any other other arrangements and it seems they've discontinued this useful practice. I volunteered to work for them some time ago but my health deteriorated too much for reliable attendance before they'd completed all the police checks etc and I had to back out.

I've been making some things for them to sell at fundraising events. Not waves, but a cushion cover with a wavy border and a soft fluffy scarf with multi coloured flecks in. I'm grateful for the fun I had making these and I hope they are grateful to receive them!

3 comments:

  1. Angel, started a post, well in my stride, and thanks to the program called 'puppy linux' which seems very tenuous in connecting me to the net, just closed down on me, I lost the lot, just like PM on cc. Will try again later today! Pat xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Angel
    Just read your latest post.You write so beautifully,could almost see the waves!
    You sound contemplative in a positive way.Where you live sounds lovely.
    Warmest regards
    Mimi
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Angel, later today turned into tomorrow, and here we are on the 5th. Have just come in from Liskeard where I have been since 9am & again on Thurs! Jolly glad I didn't miss a sunny day. Ice creams where I live, not half as exciting as in your town, time I get there, will the shutters be up, or do sunny days bring them down again?
    Hope the results from yesterdays appointment for your sake, are in the pipeline soon, you need clarity. Restful slumbers Angel, will log in again soon. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics