Sunday 23 October 2011

Masala

I decided to keep it simple today...well my body decided, my brain seems to be in a semi stupor most of the time and happy to comply. To do list contains the following: get up (tick), strip bed (tick), do ironing (half tick), remake bed and get back in it. Wish me luck, I'm learning a new skill too - ironing sitting down. Just practising the sitting down bit at the moment, ha ha!

Looked to see if there was anything on TV and saw something later that reminded me of the story I never finished in the post called 'What's his name'. Here goes: When I lived in Wales I used to sometimes stay with a man in London who had two flatmates with a wide range of friends popping in or out. Sometimes they stayed too and I once spent a day with another visitor while the others were out at work. She was called Sarita and she'd just been for an interview as a production assistant or something on a film set. She didn't get the job but she was offered a part in the film and I remember she seemed a little ambivalent about this...She took it though and though I never met get again I occasionally heard news she was doing well and although there'd been some holdups with the first film she'd been offered a part in another.

Anyway, a couple of years later...some time early 90s...the man from London was visiting me with his kids one weekend. Can't remember what we were watching on TV but there were interviews and music and stuff and we were all pottering about in the kitchen while it was on. There was a piece about the paparazzi and to my utter astonishment I realised the Sun paper's top chap for a celebrity snap was 'Big' Dave someone I was at art college with before I left to have Bob. So I was all OMG-ing though we didn't abbreviate it then and then a little later there was an item about the new film Sarita was in. Denzel Washington, her co-star was being interviewed and saying how brilliant she was. So we were all OMG-ing then, ha ha!

Anyway, her first movie - the one that took a long time to make is on tonight - Kama Sutra. The second one was Mississippi Masala...and Dave's first big break came with a tour with Men at Work but how bizarre that they should both be on TV within such a short space of time. I don't know THAT many people with a claim to fame!

Well I'm off to have another go at the ironing. I'm grateful for a warm enough day to have the windows open, for the smell of hot cotton and the sounds of the breakers and the wind in the trees. I'm grateful for my iron and my washing machine and electricity and memories. And I give huge thanks to the miracle that is the internet that entertains and informs us so much. I was looking up something the other day and the page was slow to load and it dawned on me how lucky we are to have it and how much we take it for granted now.

2 comments:

  1. Well Angel have put the film on to record as its a very late start, but then given the title, it might just have to be well after the watershed. A film for the night owls of which I am one, but being up early to watch the rugby its almost 4:30pm, and this prevaricating dreckly women is not even dressed yet, but have been on the computer doing the minutes of a 3hour charity meeting yesterday. Washing machine is up the creek, refuses to spin the water out, cannot find a filter anywhere, so guess its an expensive callout unless I can find the receipt because it was only bought in March of this year, but is probably past any guarantee as it was bought from a W. M. repairman on a private reconditioned sale, when he came from his firm to repair my washer dryer, which went to the recycling centre at the local tip! No washing so happily no ironing either, though there are jeans to shorten and the underwire of my bra to stop from inching its way out, that could easily be another machine buster! no pun intended. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Angel,
    Whilst walking through the streets of Amsterdam we passed a stage coach all done up with the horseman in full dress, on the back it said 'Newcastle to London' I said to Derek " my god can you imagine waiting for important news to arrive from the messenger on that coach?" it must've taken days!! so yes, so much we take for granted, but I really don't think i'd like to live in the 'good old days' I much prefer having this 'instant' kind of communication,
    Thinking of you as always
    Take care
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics