Thursday 6 October 2011

Homing instinct

I've been having a BIG rest this late afternoon, early evening. It's been a fine clear day...mostly! There's a blustery breeze nudging clouds across the sky and sometimes when it shows down we've had a shower but brilliant sunshine in between. I was at a bus stop earlier and some very dark clouds were coming over in one direction but what puzzled me was the rain seemed to be falling in the other where there was still full sunlight. Then I realised I was looking at the spray from a car wash!

I didn't feel like doing very much today but not like doing nothing at all and anyway the bedding needed changing and the living room's in too much chaos to relax in in daylight hours so I had to get off my proverbial and do something. So I caught a bus to a diy chain store and picked up some carryable things that will soon be required including a litre of water based satinwood for an old set of shelves I'm sprucing up. It goes in a corner between the sofa and the wall and didn't show that much but when the wall's freshly papered and painted it will look even more tired and grubby than in does now, so, as no one's really going to notice if it's not done very well I thought I'd have a go myself. Of course getting the paint means I'm now too tired to use it but it's here ready for when I am too.

I'm grateful for having just enough get up and go to get up and go and for the pretty outward journey with the sparkly water, swaying trees and clear view of the tors. It's quite a while since I've been on a bus and I enjoyed seeing the countryside, the windsurfers on the river and a bank of allotments with a fine crop of pampas grass. I'm grateful they had what I wanted in one shop as shopping around is hard when you have no car.

On the way back I couldn't make it up the stairs on the bus to get the most stunning views, and the lower deck was crowded so I was relieved there was a 'disabled' seat left...but these are the ones behind the big pictures on the windows and I always think it's like a penalty for being able to ride for free! The pictures are local scenes and I've nothing against them per se but why not put them on the metal instead of the glass so passengers can look through the windows at the real scenes? Anyway I was wondering all this, and vaguely trying to identify which local hilly coastal area dotted with trees and white buildings I was seeing in reverse when it began to dawn on me that four inches away from the tip of my nose was the image of the terrace I live in! How bizarre!

I'm grateful for a bit of random synchronicity, something that never fails to delight. I'm grateful I can take it easy this evening, that there's lefovers left to eat. I'm grateful for another interesting letter from Kostas my incarcarated penfriend...and for another letter offering me an MRI scan at half past nine on a Sunday morning! No, I'm fibbing about that, I'm grateful they were willing to change the appointment time when I gave them a call!

1 comment:

  1. Angel, your making me tired out just thinking of the amount of DIY you manage to get done, whilst I've been sitting on my bum in Liskeard magistrates court. Housework catch-up day tomorrow, shucks.
    Glad things are moving on the medical front, these scan/mri departments seem to be working odd hours, mine was 5pm a normal exit from work time, but I expect they have deadlines to meet and are playing the political game. Hope your not too tired after your foray on the bus to the DIY store, take care Angel. Patxx

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics