Wednesday 22 June 2011

Did you have any ‘can’ts’ to deal with today?

For some years I worked for a big company that it seemed spent as much time reorganising and renaming its office practices as much as anything else. After yet another team briefing when we’d been talked through the fact we’d be running the trucks on round things covered with rubber from now on and the fleet would be renamed the ‘wheelbase’ etc. we were asked for any suggestions we had about ways to communicate better with our managers about our training needs.

I came up with the idea of ‘can’ts’. ..If there was a gap in our required encyclopaedic knowledge or a customer simply asked for the moon on a stick and we didn’t personally have the correct profiles to be able to supply we could flag it up the chain of command for coaching or resolution. It seemed a fine opportunity to inject a little blithe Anglo-Saxon humour into the day by replacing ‘problems’ or ‘issues’ with a close homophone to a word meaning something completely different. My own manager, bless him, valued his career rather more than my sense of humour and didn’t take my proposal further.

If you are of a more prudish disposition than I and this has offended your sensibilities, I apologise...I shall try to write something more spiritually uplifting later on after I've watched a bit more tennis!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics