Thursday 30 June 2011

Is it fete?

Ten in the morning still flat out in bed, though I did get up to make a cuppa. I want to go to a flower festival at a local church, I hope it's the kind of thing I remember from childhood...some of the floral art displays then were real works of art. But it's on the same side of town as me and right by the sea so worth an outing anyway. Or will be if I get my act together. It'll be a display of pot pourri at this rate!

When I was a young girl and we lived in more rural places there were village fetes and gymkhanas and little local celebrations of this and that all summer long and all walking distance or a short bus ride away as otherwise not many could attend ha ha! There was always a tombola stall where you bought raffle tickets to win what other people donated, a long sloping cardboard tube that a stuffed sock 'rat' would be sent down for you to try and hit when it came out and a handkerchief girl who wore a plain coloured dress with lots of bordered or embroidered cotton hankies pinned on it for you to choose and buy. Hankies were more of a necessity in those days. Also lived in Derbyshire where they did well dressing. Amazing stuff.

So first thought of thanks for the day is remembering those summer outings of childhood.

And second is to Paper Roses for her comments. Most of the time I have to talk to myself so it's nice to feel that someone's listening to me

1 comment:

  1. You have made me think too of lots of happy times at church fetes in my childhood, always a plastic cup of very weak orange drink and a bicuit or butterfly cake to go with it.
    A few pennies in my little purse looking round first so i didnt spend my money on the first thing i saw and more often than not, a raffle prize too.
    I always looked for books and little ornaments.
    Loved the christmas ones too.
    And thank you for making my day much happier by reading your posts, passing my days in Kent.... some are very long but i dont like to moan too much because it could get a lot worse.
    Love Debbie.x

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics