Tuesday 14 June 2011

No woman is an island...

It's a beautiful morning, warm and clear. I'd like best to be in a little sandy cove alone or with someone so close it feels like being alone only better.

When I was small we lived on a small island, newcomers in the community. My older siblings had grown and gone, my parents busy with the farm. I spent some time with my largely bed ridden granny, some with our pets, and some alone with friends that I invented. I guess I got the knack in the way that others do of being part of a family or crowd. Like a duckling imprints with the first thing it sees I imprinted with solitude and space. The duckling doesn't stay following the duck in front for ever though...and sometimes I'd love a feeling of connection and a hug!

Someone once said of me in a derogatory tone 'You could live on an island couldn't you?'. She was much given to derogatory tones, but yes I could, and I'm not ashamed. I read Taransay was for sale and that would suit me just fine!

Well, not only can I not go to a deserted sandy cove but neither can I stay in bed as Tuesday is when I have to wait for a nurse to come and carry out essential maintenance. She or he may be glad they do not have to row across the sound...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics