Monday 21 November 2011

Non-walking blues

Tiggs was on Facebook this morning saying she'd been in floods of tears but had channel hopped (on TV, not on a ferry!) and had found something to cheer her up. Well, it was the other way round for me...I was perfectly cheerful and had just brought my tea into the living room to eat and I turned on the TV and it was still on BBC1HD from watching tennis earlier and Wainwright's Walks was just starting with sumptuous ariel images of the Lake District and suddenly I was sobbing. I'd already learnt to do without so many things and people before I got sick, and since then a whole bunch more but it's the walking that breaks my heart. I used to be able to walk my other blues away but there ain't no way to lose the non-walking kind...a hug from a trekking companion who understood my need to stride out would help but they all walked away. So I just have to sniff and wait til I forget again.

Luckily I managed to quickly, quickly find something else just starting that was totally gripping tale - a documentary on the Crime and Investigation channel about a very long serial rape investigation in South Yorkshire. Almost twenty years they took to find this guy as their evidence pre-dated DNA testing but when it came in although they had a profile they didn't have a match. What they did have, however, were some dogged detectives led by a wonderful down to earth Northern woman who just kept right on looking everywhere, including in her spare time, until she got her man. She and her team seemed such sensible, thorough and dedicated characters it made your feel if something bad had to happen to you Rotherham was the best place!

I give thanks for having my mind distracted by this and a selection of US drivel shows later about extreme couponing and hoarding etc and for the chap who did the former so he could donate the goods to local charities. That was actually pretty neat. I give thanks to my new mixer for making me nutty crumble to go on veggies in cheese sauce for my tea. This is only the second thing I've done with it and still using the same piece of kit but I decided to see if it would fit in the cupboard after and, as it would, cleaned the cupboard ready to be worthy of it...so I give thanks for that too.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Angel that feeling of wanting to be outside in glorious open countryside, standing on top of a hill looking back at where you had just walked and forward to where you intend to go. Seeing the lakes with the sun shining on them, the rain shadow on distant hills, the sheep...no forget the sheep.

    Anyway Angel even though I could just about manage a hike I no longer have anyone to go walking with, proper wild walking isn't really safe on your own. I have tried walking groups and it is an option but I guess I am just not a joiner. I live very close to Tatton Park in Cheshire, I walk there often and it is a very big beautiful open space but not the true country side where if you choose carefully you can walk all day and not see another soul. There I hope you feel better now.

    I hope you can get out soon Angel, have a look at the sea, the hills and the river...what a glorious place to live.
    Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics