Monday 26 September 2011

Bright sidelines

Well I started today struggling to think of anything to be grateful for. This is bad practice...there are ALWAYS things to be grateful for! Yes, I was awake for long periods in a lot of pain but I was in my own comfy bed and I had my Streak and a book and a bedside lamp and I wasn't disturbing anyone and no one was disturbing me...

...until I was woken in the 'proper' morning by first of all the bin men and their carts, and then by a team of road resurfacers. Heavens what a lot of heavy machinery screeching and grinding and manly shouting to and fro! So yeah, once again not obviously pleasing but I bet those men and their dependents if they have them are very glad they have jobs to go to, as are we who want them done!

So, I got up and put the kettle on but the mug cracked when I poured the boiling water in and I felt rather hard done by, but you know I do have other mugs in abundance and no hot water spilt on me...and I can turn the tap and fresh cold water comes out ready to start again.

And that wonderfully doctorly doctor I saw a couple of weeks back who's been away had left a morning message on my phone asking how things were progressing because he's still being doctorly and concerned...and saying he'd ring back...and he did! And I explained that there was still no more news from the hospital on his returned referral but that I didn't feel well enough to go anyway and he listened to my other medical woes and worked out another antibiotic to try for my infection. (Not only does the nature of the bug have to be taken into consideration but what's appropriate for reduced kidney function, indeed what might even work with reduced kidney function as some things don't get into the bloodstream in enough quantities to be effective anyway). And, now this especially brilliant...I have a course of the very thing prescribed in hope some weeks back but untaken when the lab results said 'no'. So I don't even have to ring the chemist to deliver or go down and up the stairs to collect when they do. I can lie on the sofa with Stephen Fry (purely electronically you understand) windoes open while the workmen have their lunch and maybe, if I feel up to it, a little light crochet for my craft collection for Volunteering in Health so they can carry on taking people to hospital who have no personal chauffeurs to get them there. If I ever get that appointment I'll need their services again methinks...a bus seems a bridge too far these days!

4 comments:

  1. Hey darling, kind thoughts to you. The doctorly doctor is so what you need just now. I have daily contact with my young son but many lonely hours to fill each day. I think along the line of this being my very early retirement also. Constantly trying to find other examples of people doing it tough sometimes eases the pain, but mostly not. Seeing people in love, or energetic, or old, make me jealous and I hate the feeling. Not meaning to be down but just expressing that I wonder, like you, where we all fit. Things sound very difficult for you now on your journey, I am sending warmth and smiles from across the ocean :-) Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juanita, I would love to send you a private message. I'm not the chattiest person in the world especially since typing became so hard, neither am I much interested in dwelling on symptoms, treatments and side effects but the *inner* journey towards the end of life, society's attitudes etc has always fascinated me (even when I had both feet in the land of the living!) and you sound like someone who muses on this too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gabi thought i'd replied on this but it seems to have disapeared!! just wanted to say have a good afternoon but its now nearly have a good evening :)

    stef xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angel,
    I've just seen a post by the mods on cc, telling us that Pats p.c. is on the blink! but she's fine, didn't know if you'd seen it and thought you would like to know,
    Well it's 4.50 now so hopefuly the workmen have stopped making a racket, and the rest of your day is peaceful one,
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics