Tuesday 27 September 2011

Agenda specific

Tuesdays I have to get up at a 'respectable' hour to await the nurses' visit. There are several on the team and you never know who you'll get or what time they'll come and there are some I enjoy more than others, which no doubt is how they feel about their patients too! At least the regulars understand there's no need to speak especially LOUDLY, s-l-o-w-l-y and clearly to me as, demented though I may be, and currently troubled by ear infections, I'm not deaf or suffering from dementia yet and enquiries about the state of my bowels are likely to be met by enquiries as to the state of theirs! On the whole I like the male nurses best, they seem less inclined to the kind of social grooming chit chat I'm so bad at, they tell me funny stories and listen to mine. Some weeks these are the only conversations I have so it's better if they are fun! I would like to express gratitude for the whole team of course who attend to maintenance matters I cannot...but special thanks to those who leave me with a fresh smile as well as a fresh dressing.

For some years most of my (apparently) closest friends were men partly because I liked who they were were as individuals of course, and partly because on the whole they didn't seem to mind if I didn't want to talk about hairdressers or handbags or celebrities or shoes. I've nothing against adornment you understand, I think it's fine and dandy (pun intended) it's just I like to get adorned and then talk about something else! In the last year or two I've been lucky enough to meet one or two other women who are similarly conversationally challenged... it's been a great relief. I also discussed the matter with a gay female ex-colleague with an interest in sociological and linguistic issues and we decided that the aforementioned topics were not gender specific but agenda specific. Wit and wisdom eh? It is possible to combine the two, but maybe not with nail extensions! See, I can do bitchy, just not girly, ha ha!

I give gratitude that I'm up anyway, and have been watching the swirling mist in between typing bits of this. I'm grateful that I've managed to coax the corner of the carpet I lifted for skirting board lifting back under the living room door.

Aah, the phone's just rung...a nurse is on their way...I was wondering now we've sort of located Pat, has anyone heard from Kentmum Debbie?

2 comments:

  1. Hope you can see my email on cancer chat as I do not have access to yours even though we are 'friends'. Watching some cruddy TV and eating (yay!) some chocolate for me this evening.... sending you thanks for your wonderful writing once again. Juanita x

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can see them if you have PM...when you go to put who to send it to you can click on your list of friends and the email addresses they used to sign up to the site are next to their names. sent one to yours earlier (I think!)

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics