Monday 12 September 2011

Dumb and number

This morning I give thanks that I'm finally up and showered and dressed. I wrote that and realised it was actually one fifteen but you get my drift! I called the Jobcentre first thing of course and spoke quite quickly to someone nice, polite and sympathetic person so maybe I dialled the wrong number! They said they'd get someone to call me back within the next three hours and a different nice, polite and sympathetic person did call me back within the stated time and told me...they couldn't tell me whether I needed to do a work assesment or not and had forwarded the query to Atos who would get back to them in 48hrs so to ring again after that. Both the nice polite sympathetic people I spoke to said that as far as they were aware no one who has already submitted a DS1500 should have to do anything but wait quietly at home until they pop their clogs but they would need to check my case with Atos.

It's worth looking up Atos if you're into horror stories...They are so bad they are even banned in the US! They tend to overturn doctor's and consultant's reports in favour of a physical test to see if you can do things like pick up a pound coin and a questionnaire a bit like those ones we had in girly magazines when I was a teenager to determine your personality or if 'it's love' or whatever only this is to determine if you're capable of 'some' work. The whole point of course is to put you on a lower rate of benefit so it doesn't matter to them if you are actually going to be able to get and keep a job to support yourself, although it's a tad counterproductive for the government if you lose your home before you go into a hospice and end up on housing benefit. Anyway fingers crossed for me that as far as they are concerned I'm still dying eh?

I was in a lot of pain in the night so was able to stay awake and fret some more but this afternoon I've managed to get an appointment to see someone about the bits that aren't hurting but going numb. I'm sure it was Debbie (hello Debbie!)said once that if you're hurting you're alive and having already suffered small strokes I know that, although more comfortable, numb is actually scarier than pain. As my left side has been the weakest link for so long it's both worrying and inconvenient to have my right side competing for attention in this department. I'm seeing a doctor I haven't seen before...a fresh eye for a fresh problem. Well that's my theory anyway...

While waiting for the phone to ring this morning I turned on the TV and there was a programme about a British woman who began writing to an inmate on death row and then talking to him on the phone and then getting 'engaged' before going over to meet him. Total fruit cake obviously and particularly demonstrated this by telling her daughters that he worked on a farm and the reason her snaps of him all showed orange clothes, manacles and chains were because he was in fancy dress. Now why would you think it was OK to tell your daughters you were going to marry a man you'd never met who liked to impersonate a prisoner? I mean wouldn't that be weirder than wanting to marry a prisoner? Second gratitude of the day for hearing about that dumb idea! It's going in my next letter to Kostas ha ha!

2 comments:

  1. Oh i am so sorry hat you were in pain in the night, did i say that about pain and being alive... sorry, i must have been having a bad day.xxx
    i am in a lot of pain in my hip myself, i have booked me and my husband a holiday for 22nd on a cruise, we have never really had these sort of holidays or been abroad at all really and i wanted him to have a nice memory of us together on this holiday.
    But my hip is really hurting me , i think the cancer in thwere is spreading it feels bigger and hurts like it did last year, the hospice lady said take more morphine but i was so zonked out at the weekend i have cut back again, i only hope that i can put it to the back of my mind till i get back, hospital appointment 2 days afterwards so will try and hide the pain till then.
    What are they thinking of trying to get you back to work..... they are ba.....s lets see how they would cope in our position. Dont worry, it will be ok.xxx
    Love Deb.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angel
    Why not ask if you can have a job working for Atos? i'm sure you'd put them right on a few things,
    Thinking of you as always,
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics