Wednesday 14 September 2011

Last night

Last night I wanted to express gratitude on here for clean skin in clean pajamas but after my shower I was too sleepy to do so although I felt and noted it. I also felt gratitude for the Bill Bryson book I'm reading. Well for Bill Bryson's writing generally. Like most I suffer from a form of the life limiting condition called snobbery...I know what I like and I know it's 'better' than what I don't! My experiences have tended to suggest that often the most popular things leave me unmoved to joy (Cadbury's Dairy Milk, Marks and Spencers, soaps, tabloids, team sport following etc etc) so increasingly I've shied away from 'best sellers' of every kind and I'm always slightly incredulous but quite delighted when they do. For one thing life's much simpler if you like culturally 'normal' things to like!

If it's a popular writer I decide is 'good' then, as a bit of a scribbler myself, I find it especially auspicious because it shows verbal skill is still practiced by a few and appreciated by many. I think it was Bob who first 'turned me on' to Bill Bryson when he bought me A Short History of Nearly Everything some years back (Excellent book! Excellent son...more gratitude!) This one I bought in a second hand shop a while back and rediscovered it still unread on my bookshelf when I moved some pictures and ornaments out of the way of the debris of decorating. It's a hardback but quite light and small and manageable for kitten wrists and mitten fingers. And it's called and is about Down Under which has reminded me I have an unfinished tale to tell but it will have to wait til later...the kitten wrists and mitten fingers are getting tired now and I haven't finished this one yet!

On my profile on here I have a film called Last Night listed which is a rather obscure but much praised Canadian film about the end of the world that doesn't concentrate on the reason on why this is happening or have a square jawed hero trying to save it. It concentrates on how ordinary people decide to deal with it and is funny and moving and has been a favourite of mine since I first saw it twelve years ago. I just found a link to some more info (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0156729/plotsummary) and I read it and wanted to watch it all over again! I would like to give thanks for all the pleasure it's given me over the years, and once more to Bob for tracking down a copy so it can continue to do so..

Lastly, for now, I want to give thanks to whatever is happening in my brain that is causing the creeping numbness as currently it is also making me very spaced out and mellow. People pay good money to get wobbly and laugh a lot and I get it for free...how good is that? Yes, I know...only partly good but this is a gratitude diary afterall!

1 comment:

  1. So pleased to find you in a great mood today.x
    It is lovely when you can share a good book with some one and even better your son.
    Is the spaced out just natural or tablet created?
    We had some terrible news this morning our friends daughter Cara who has just had a baby boy 3 weeks ago phoned to say her dad had died last night he was 51 and had found out 4 months ago he had brain tumor. so sad tonight we were all at a birthday party only 2 weeks ago all ok then. Life is so hard .....x

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics