Tuesday 2 August 2011

Next step

My first gratitude of the day is for the fact that I feel fine after yesterday's exertions. I've an idea some people might think I'd be 'paying for that' today but actually I'm collecting interest on my investment of energy ha ha! Feeling a bit tired yes, but brighter in spirits and kind of limber and fit like I used to after a day's healthy exercise in the 'old days'. It's relative, I know...but endorphin releasing activity feels very different from the drudgery of the other sorts in the anticipation, the execution and the aftermath.

On Sunday I got a bit of a kick out of doing something I had to do...but it felt like hard work. Yesterday, as has happened every time I've been up to Dartmoor since my illness, I've arrived feeling not so brilliant, not up to much...I've got out of the car thinking it'd be nice just to sniff the air, maybe take a few steps across the grass just to remember what it's like...and then when I do, and get a scent of the great outdoors I think...well maybe just a little bit further...just to that rock or that tree...and then the next thing you know I'm half way up to a Tor and just have to keep going til I get to the top. Things hurt less, tire less, actually begin to feel gooood! And even if ultimately one day I really do overdo it I'd rather the last straw that breaks my connection with this world be pushing myself to walk on Dartmoor not pushing an iron across a pile of laundry!

Of course having some amenable company enhances the experience, and without an amenable enabler none of the above would be possible. I don't think I'd feel confident to try striding off on my own any more and it probably wouldn't be wise. What a shame it's such a rarity to find someone who thinks it's worth sharing a few hours of their time and a tank of fuel although I can see the less often it happens the more tedious it must be having me exclaim in delight and wonder at every other step! I'm grateful for my delight and wonder too though!

1 comment:

  1. Angel, so glad your still reaping the benefit of the glow to your mortal self that those endorphins released yesterday. Let us hope that the weather holds while your still bouyant, and you can repeat the rum and raisin experience sitting in the sun and watching the tugs at work, instead of a wasted trip to an empty shelf shop. Pat xxx

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics