Thursday 4 August 2011

Refreshments

Today I'm grateful for the long long rain that started in the evening and carried on all night. Heavy drenching rain good for all the growing things that get so parched in the summer weather so many of us humans prefer. If only it would rain at night we say...and it did!

I'm grateful for a long long sleep and a lazy dozy morning in bed to follow and for rediscovering the book I'm reading which I have read before some years ago but forgotten the details of until I saw it in the hospice charity shop a week or two back. And the details are what makes it amazing. It's essentially a novel in that it's a made up story but the way of its telling is a joy for the deep observation yet light depiction of detail, the mindful celebration of the apparently mundane. I would not delude myself that I'm as talented a writer but there is a fragment of similarity here and there. We are of the same school though he has graduated with flying colours and I'm still on half days in the reception class but sometimes he mentions things that I have noted too and that's as refreshing as the rain when my out-of-school report card frequently mentions I must try harder to see things more 'normally'...if I'm not to be permanently suspended of course! The book's called 'if nobody speaks of remarkable things'...sums it up remarkably well!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angel,
    Your the second person i've heard mention this book, so thought i'd check it out, i've read mixed reviews but on the whole think it's something i'd enjoy reading, unfortunatly another website I looked at revealed the the 'tragic event', but think i'll still get it anyway, I don't read much but somethings drawing me to this book, i'll let you know what I think when i've finished,
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angel, I am quite a reader so will look for this at the library, haven't got room in three bookcases for another book, but would make room for yours if you get published! Your school report would make good reading I expect! Did not enjoy the rain last night, had to keep the cats in and had 3 on my bed!
    Pat xx

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics