Tuesday 30 August 2011

Doctor, Doctor

Be careful what you wish for...

Woke this morning with that sense of grim gloom you get when you have a difficult and probably disheartening task ahead of you and it took me a while to realise what was causing it. Then I remembered...trying to get appropriate medical attention! Experience has shown this to be at least as tortuous a process as illness itself so I dread trying to get anyone to deal with anything!

Apart from the obvious, and all the attendant physical and bureaucratic complications with that, I have two things I feel I need to see a doctor about. I mean actually see one, because they would need to see me. One, the suspected ear infection I'm not fussy who looks at it because (and I've spent ages fretting over this) surely even the most entrenched idiots on the team couldn't misdiagnose that could they? The other, I would need someone to actually listen and think about. So clearly I need two appointments...one just as soon as poss, the other I'll have to choose someone I think willing and able and wait a while. Thought I'd check out my first choice's availability when I went in to see the duty doctor today or tomorrow. There you go, a plan I thought. Break the difficult task up into manageable pieces...But there are no appointments to see anyone at all this week. So yes, I got my wish and don't have to deal with doctors, but not in a good way... Gratitude and growling in equal measures there!*

The best thing about the weekend was definitely reading my book. TV I felt was mostly rubbish, I felt mostly rubbish. 'Hector' is a psychiatrist who realises he can't make people happy and goes on some travels to see if he can find out what does. Because of the subject matter and style it's the kind of book I might have written (or tried to!) but there's absolutely no need as this clever Frenchman has done it already. I guess I'd better finish reading it before I get over enthusiastic. Never judge a book until you get to the back cover having read all the way from the front.

* Today's duty doctor has phoned me. She said there was no point trying to help me over the phone and has made an appointment for me to be seen tomorrow morning. Simples!

1 comment:

  1. Angel, what sort of practice dosen't have emergency appointments bookable on the day if you ring first thing (even my vets has pre-determined slots left). Aware its a bit like 'the red hot line to the Kremlin' at 8:30 in the morning, but god gave me a re-dial, so it's click redial until I find a chink in the Dragons armour. Glad you have one for tomorrow, but hope the ear stays quiescent for you tonight. My answer to the dragons before I came to Cornwall was "No appointments, not really well enough & not able to get in, put me down for a house call please" surprise, surprise! We have had a cancellation, can you make 10:40. Now it being a Tuesday, you will have CSI to keep you happy tonight, now what night is John Barrowman destined to fill your screen?
    Pat xx

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics