Wednesday 10 August 2011

Pond(ering) life

My silly Streak would not let me send the CC post I'd typed earlier so I had to get up and rewrite it on my laptop so now I'm wondering what else with my day while there's still quite a bit of it ahead! Note to self...do not spend hours on end considering possibilities on the internet, ha ha!!!

I'm trying to avoid any virtual site blasted by bigotry and smouldering with inflammatory remarks at the moment but I would like to express astonishment and delight at a BBC article about what makes people looters that covered pretty much all the answers I gave Rachel off the top of my head when she rather rashly asked me for my opinion yesterday (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14463452) I'd said then (as I'm an entrenched old bigot in my own way too) that she would hear a lot of phrases like 'scum of the earth' and 'immigrant spongers' bandied about and indeed she would, but the people who contributed to this article were a criminologist and a psychologist who, by nature of their professions, have to come up with some better definitions than that.

Detective Inspector Plod: So what sort of perpetrator would have committed these heinous crimes Professor Profile?

Professor Profile: Scum of the earth! Pond life!

Detective Inspector Plod:
Ahh, right...we'll round up all the newts and tadpoles then. Non-indigenous species is it sir?

Professor Profile:
Need you ask Inspector Plod? We fine upstanding Britsh creatures are only violent for noble reasons. War! Sport! Punishment!

I was also interested in mentions of the fact that the large groups looting in London were made up of members of (normally) rival gangs. Nothing anthropologically astonishing there but if it makes one person think differently that's got to be a grain of goodness lying in the shards of smashed glass.

Pondering on all this has made me want to be poking about in a rock pool. Oh the power of suggestion! I'll go and get a shower and see where that takes me ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics