Friday 19 August 2011

Afterthoughts

Don't need urging to have a duvet day Pat, incapable of anything else so far! Yesterday was a humungous effort on many levels, which I'd made in hopes of humungous rewards but in retrospect, without the big experiences I'd hoped for there were some less obvious little pleasures that linger...like cyclamen in the hedgerow of the section of the coast path I took to get to the viewing field (less of a climb than from the pub side)...like actually being on the coast path, like the pre cancer me though even though far less nimble...and realising the 'four little prop planes' I mentioned seeing before and were the Blades who did make it to the display and were pretty and clever too...and not being the only person on their own at a public event. Of course I was the only woman on my own but there were lots of solitary male photo/plane fans nervously protecting their enormous lenses from the damp. When there's a full on display I always want to film them swinging their telephotos round in unison focusing on the obvious action. They get great shots of course but they do miss out on the complete experience.

I didn't take a single snap. Too cold to take my gloves off ha ha! In a way that was good too because whenever I've remembered being dared to swim in the sea pool at Plymouth one mid august evening a few years back, the lifeguards and spectators all bundled up to their ears, and me shivering so much and for so long afterwards that my 'warming' chips were leaping out of the cone in my hand, I've always thought (now I don't see the people who were with me to confirm the memory) nah, it can't have been that bad...but, yes it could have been and it was!

And yesterday too it was amazing to get back under my own steam with lots of rests enjoying the sight of an almost deserted windswept beach. And when I couldn't get over or round the outflow pipe barring my way (sand too low, tide too high) I was able to summon up the bravery and charm to accost a middle aged male dog walker and ask for and get a 'leg up'. And even that for the first time I bought a programme...which is special precisely because it bore little resemblance to the actual events...

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a late start to the day, and there is a series for you to look foreward too. Have seen some of the true csi programmes quite good some of them, but one of my favourite authoress's is Patricia Cornwell, so am a committed csi buff anyway. Glad the middle aged dog walker took notice of your plight and helped you up and over your obstacle. Talking dogs, my dog is over the failed back legs situation, but I could have done without the incontinent dog for a 48hrs, stretch. Plenty to keep me occupied Sat, and car boot with an 8am start on Sunday. Good night Angel, hope you sleep fairly well, and awake rested and refreshed. Pat xxx

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics