Tuesday 2 August 2011

Communal nature

Lots more little joys today...I hope you'll remember these happy postings when I'm being a whingey cow! I hope I do too come to that ha ha!

I was grateful that whilst waxing lyrical about endorphins the community nurse who arrived for my maintenance understood or at least created the impression he did! He is a tad Will Young like in looks and manner so the kind of young man you want to believe understands you but he also went beyond the call of duty or the thrall of looks and said all the team are astonished by how well I do without conventional treatments and all the patients who know of me want to know how? Smug bitch, I'll probably fall over my own head in a minute...it's so big it fills the room!

Anyway, I'm also delighted I managed to 'clutter surf' to the back of the space underneath the stairs (unusual feature in a flat but this is not a purpose built one!) and drag out the old camping mat right at the back left over from when an ex and I used to go...no not camping, sunbathing au naturel on a pebbly beach not far away where this allowed but rather uncomfy! I fancied lounging with a book outside but the ground is rock hard this time of year so that made it much more pleasant. It was one of those rare times when the whole terrace and environs were quiet. No blaring music from any of the flats, no barking dogs, or whining tools or children, no drumming from across the road. Times like that living here is pretty blissful. The communal gardens are just some grass and shrubs and trees but as old as the terrace itself so have had getting on for 150 years to mature and are now really small private park, one of the biggest private green spaces in town. And if you're there on you own it's all yours!

Actually I shared it briefly with a very friendly dainty grey whippet and its owner, and some nice people from next door and their dog with whom I've been on brief chat terms with for some years. And a young squirrel so mad for the young beech nuts at the top of the tallest tree that when it had finished the ones on the very slender bendy twig it was climbing along it dangled from its back legs to munch those on the one below. And a ladybird mysteriously taking the path of most resistance across the dry lawn climbing arduously up and down each still green and standing stem it found. I wondered if there was some benefit in this I did't understand...presumably not like me and tors for instance?..but then the next time I looked it was having a leisurely flat stroll across the upturned rubber and string sole of my discarded espadrille so it certainly didn't need to be on the grass. Hard not to lapse into anthropomorphism and see this as a beach given the previous analogy! And then it flew away before I thought to count its spots. Have you any idea how many sorts of ladybirds there are? Look it up...astonishing!

Now many are out and I am in and glad to be so, away from the happy sound of children playing havoc with my eardrums. Am feeling so mellow I might even do some ironing...famous last words?

2 comments:

  1. Have spent the last 15 mins or so reading about ladybirds, only went on to check how many spots they have!! did you know, according to the Woodland Trust, there are 23 types of British Ladybird.......Love the internet, there's a whole new world out there, Lynn :)) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, just re-read your post and realised you said 'sort' of ladybird, not 'how many spots'.......well i'm tired tonight, so thats my excuse for the blonde moments right now, haha, Lynn x

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics