Tuesday 12 July 2011

The view from here and there

It's cool and grey again today...that's fine by me as far too tired and too busy for day tripping again for a while.

Yesterday I did indeed do things orange...and thinking of that is my first 'gold star' gratitude of the day. Jared and Sophie came and picked me up to go to a takeaway in the next little town along and then we drove the other way to a carpark with a magnificient view to eat it. It was very hazy so we couldn't see very far but what we could see was extra picturesque and ethereal with the pale sky and pale sea. Sometimes I feel as if I'm taking a snapshot in my mind then it seems I can really remember what things looked like when I look back...but I guess there's a memory of an emotional feeling that goes with an image too. A camera can't capture that but a picture can be a key that releases it.

Talking of which...I'm in the middle of writing a letter to my incarcerated penfriend. Because he's Greek and I've been to Greece a couple of times there is some common ground there and I've just been telling him about a trip I had when I flew from Rome to Athens. I don't really like flying much and prefer not to be by a window so I don't have to look any further down than the carpet on the floor of the plane but sometimes if there's something really spectacular to see I think well if I'm about to die I might as well enjoy the view! (Interesting how my erstwhile in-flight philosophy has extended to encompass my grounded days now!)

Anyway, on this particular occasion, once I realised how good the view actually was I demanded a turn in the window seat immediately! We were flying fairly low as not going far and as it was perfectly clear the landscape beneath us was like the large scale map in our hands coming to life with vehicles on the roads and boats in the harbour. Absolutely the best flight ever...though the spin round the summit of Snowdon in a De Havilland Rapide (rattly 1930s biplane) comes a close second. Highly recommend helicopter from Penzance to St Mary's too. I'm counting remembering all these as one gratitude today as a challenge to find more but they were all individually quite spendid. Feel the fear and do it anyway folks...otherwise you might miss the fun!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, you havwe had some great trips in the air..... have a lovely day today.
    I am off up the hospital for a ct scan, hope that it is still sleeping, love Debbie.x

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics