Friday 15 July 2011

Untangle in the making


A couple of months ago I heard that Oxfam had suffered a fire in one of their big sorting and storage warehouses and stock of their 'iconic' knitted and crocheted blankets that they sold at festivals had been lost. I'd never made a blanket but it had been in my head to do so after amassing a vast quantity of cheap yarn when experimenting with making leaves for my tree. So I thought I'd have a go and recruited both Heidi and Ivor to knit some of it too. Although the required finished size of 4' x 6' is quite daunting, breaking it down into six inch squares and strips made for an easy relaxing craft task...ideal during the early summer tennis watching season.

They chose the bits they'd like to do and we coordinated colours and yesterday was the first time we've been able to meet up again for them to deliver their contribution (mine still has a way to go...including the sewing together). The picture above is all the bits and balls of wool in a heap on my bed waiting for a sort out...and the picture below is a first laying out of what we've done so far.

Lots of opportunities for gratitude here! I've loved being involved in a project with other people..and I love Oxfam's idea that you make and donate a colourful blanket and someone at an outdoor music festival chooses and buys it to wrap around themselves, sleep on or under or just as a souvenir and then Oxfam uses the money to do good works for those who have more pressing needs that a colourful craft project or watching their favourite bands in the open air. It's all good as they say! I've also had the good idea of taking one of the simple stripey middle squares to knit when I have a long afternoon at the hospital next week...cunning plan eh?

3 comments:

  1. Great blanket and great idea for keeping those hands busy :)

    I'd offer to knit some to help you along but I'm totally completely rubbish at knitting...being left handed my mum never managed to teach me as I'd continually turn it around once she started me off, then I'd lose interest.

    The only thing I ever knitted was a scarf which was so out of shape it turned into a family joke...:-))

    I'll let my mum know about the Oxfam project, she's an expert knitter. Catch up later xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made a lot of progress.... i think the colours really work well together.
    I am also left handed and managed to sort of adapt to the way i was taught to knit, if you keep on practicing it will come, but in your own style.
    Also crochet is easy when you are a left hander so maybe that would be less stressful.
    Have a lovely evening, hope you can find some good things on the telly.
    Love Debbie.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the people who buy these lovely handmade blankets look after them & don't just leave them with the rubbish at the end of the bash. I knitted a lovely bright stripey cot blanket for my grandaughter when I found out my son's partner was having a little girl. I was so excited as I have four sons and four grandsons so this is my first girly child. Well to be honest she is now three and has a little sister now so I am very blessed...but the blanket still doesn't have a knitted border. Moss stitch mitres sound just the thing!!
    Hope you have a good weekend Angel.
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics