Monday 25 July 2011

Missing in action

When you've spent a lot of time with someone over several years you can become fond of their mannerisms and sayings, foibles and fancies... the things that make them them. Of course some of these habits can be irritating at times but you don't choose to have someone in your life for a whole chunk of it unless on the whole there's more endearment than exasperation. I miss those little ways of those I used to see a lot of and now I don't at all. I miss the shared memories and mutual reference points too as most of the people I do have contact with now I've only met recently...some I've never physically met at all, some I have but only since I became unwell. No matter how lovely they (that means you!) are, we are not old friends and never will be and it's not the same, like a long stay in a comfortable hotel room does not make it home. Don't be offended if you do know me and read this...you know what I mean I'm sure, for I am not your 'old friend' either.

So anyway, yes I miss people for themselves and the sense of continuity they created in my life, but also for the things we used to do together and the 'old me' they knew. Maybe they miss that person too...maybe that's why they're not around...who knows? Whatever. The combination of disappearing companions and deteriorating health means this summer, for the first time ever, I've not been able to get away from 'civilisation' and that just doesn't feel right at all. I need to see wide open spaces even if I can't stride across them any more. I need to be places where you get at most glimpses of human habitation or wheeled transportation. I give thanks that I'm well enough to care, I truly do, but I can't seem to stop caring.

So today, to stay sane (ish) a little longer I pushed myself to walk in instalments to the end of the sea wall where you can't go any further without heading inland or into it in the train tunnel so that no one could walk past me and I could be in my element in the elements for a while. And yes, bits of my body hurt...and several more bits are beginning to now as long unused muscles register their shock and indignation. But my heart and soul stopped hurting for a few hours and that was worth the physical pain.

My last two noted gratitudes of the day therefore are for finding the strength to literally 'go that extra mile' and for feeling solitude instead of loneliness for a while. Wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, so pleased that you had a good day yesterday, i know that you will be paying for it today though.x
    Just a thought, what about a coach holiday, they do lots of little trips as well as longer ones and as they take lots of older people many of the places they visit are easy to get about.
    I love those coach holidays, also you would meet other people if you wanted too...
    I know that you really are missing old friends, but as i see it they are not friends really if they have left you like this.
    You cannot make people like you, i have found that out and believe me once you do except that it is a lot better.
    I am having the same, i think that they are just waiting to heart that oh so and so died and then they can relax and will send flowers offer sympathy and say "oh they were a friend of mine i will miss them" a load of crap.
    I just wish i knew what those type of friens were like sooner.
    You have a lot more life in you yet so i hope that you can make new better friends.... You are such a good writer, i myself are not so good, some words i missplell and my grammar is all wrong but i love writing to you, what about starting up a little book reading group or writing group you could put an ad in the local shop and meet at each others houses, there are a lot of people who would like to meet others and it just needs some one to start it off.....
    Love to you as always Debbie.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angel,
    You are obviously very low at times, and missing friends that used to be bodily in your life. And as you rightly say, your cyber friends are just passing through your life on the periphery, without the physical contact and are friends in name only. Doesn't stop us from caring about your wellbeing from a distance though Angel Patxxx

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics