Thursday 28 July 2011

No pain no gain

This morning I'm grateful that last night's medical drama didn't turn into a crisis. I'll spare you the details but had a painful and scary patch patch around 3 am which is the worst time to have them I always think, in the limbo between one day and the next when even the feasibility of getting help is in question should you think it's required. I'm quite a tough cookie really and if I'm frightened there's good reason to be. I rallied though, of course, or I wouldn't be writing this...and seem to be mended again and not be permanently damaged. Well not any more than I was beforehand anyway! Or not any more than I can tell which is all that matters anyway.

Watched a documentary last night about a 13 yr old girl who had for a long time declined a heart transplant that everyone thought she 'should' have. Her reasons were so lucid and valid but a doctor who was sure he knew better stepped in and (anti)social services tried to have her taken into care. She convinced them to leave her and her supportive family alone though...explaining she was perfectly aware she would die without the operation but had no fear of that and as long as she was feeling relatively well she didn't want to be spoiling her life quality with more time in hospital. Even if the tests show my heart's not working properly I must be stronger than people say or I woudn't still be here, she said. There are different kinds of strength, some of which you only find in the most dire of circumstances. My second gratitude of the day is that I know how strong I can be in those. I'd never have found out if I'd had an easier life would I? Oh yes, and I'm sure you'll all be relieved to here the young girl lived long enough to come to her own decision in her own good time to have the transplant and it was successful.

Now I must go and wash my hair which isn't something many people thought I'd live long enough to say ha ha!

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry that you were scared last night... the worst time of all for me is between 2am and 4 am the night seems so long and everything feels worse then.
    I listen to Talksport radio all night, falling asleep with it on and it really does help me to not think too much and start worrying.
    Thinking of you Debbie.xxx

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics